Kroozin Canada

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Welcome to Doha...

As-salamu alaykum (A Muslim arabic greeting that translates as "peace be upon you") friends!!

I am now in Doha in the State of Qatar in the Persian Gulf for 4 days (to break up my long return journey). What a change from India and Nepal! It is a Muslim state and men wear white robes with head dresses (which look perfect for the heat) while women wear mostly black hijab and abbayah (viel and dress covering everything but their hands and faces) while some even wear nicab (face covering with slits for their eyes). EVERYTHING is divided for men and women. This morning I went to the cultural centre and had a personal lesson on Islam (they let me join the "Intro to Islam for New Muslims class). Man it's strict and also very very different than what I'm used to... but I was happy to learn a little bit, especially in light of our media's tendancy to link the Middle East and Islam with terrorism. The few Qatari's I've met have been hugely welcoming and very friendly (as I describe below, a minority of people in Doha are actually Qatari)!

Yup, the adjacent picture is indeed a skating rink (it's almost 50oC outside but in the mall there's a skating rink!)! And the image next is a renovated "souq" (bazaar or market) where you can find spices, clothes and all sorts of other household items. I would have loved to share more pictures of people, but that's a sensitive one. But hopefully the 2 men in "thobs" (I think- white robes and head dresses are visible).

The evidence of wealth (due to the abundance of oil and gas in the Gulf) is almost appauling (especially after spending time in India and Nepal)... nothing but new cars/SUV's everywhere, crazy expensive hotels and more to come with construction everywhere, and beautiful beige and white villas everywhere! Due to the amount of wealth up for grabs, the amount of globalization is insane... My taxi driver was Indian, we got directions from a Qatari, the owner of the hostel here is Egyptian and workers from India and Sri Lanka, my new friend/tourguide is Tunisian (sp?), I've met his friends from the Philipines and Canada, our waitress today in an American restaurant was from Romania, and we ate next to a couple British families!! It's nuts! And all their jokes are international in flavour (... though not suitable to post online).

Anyways, I hope to attach pics soon, but I'm off to meet a Canadian Muslim who is sure to join in my Tunisian friend's attempts to convince me to come work here for in the oil and gas industry for $50-60k USD - tax free!! Yup, nothing is taxed here and gas is about 20 cents/L (about 10 years ago, apparently it was free!). When asked about hybrid cars and their availability here, my friend simply responded: "Why?!". I haven't mentioned about my engagement with Otesha nor my previous employment with environment Canada, both of which are concerned about climate change...

Nways, most interesting. Leave tomorrow late night "inshallah" and will be looking forward to catching up with all you folks one way or another on Canadian soil (not to mention enjoying temps below 45oC!!!)!

Cheerios,
Kristy :)

Here is the most common sight in Doha... billion dollar condo's and office buildings are popping up like mushrooms. In the past 2 years virtually all the now existing highrises were built (as you can see if you look across the gulf in the picture above of Corniche, the road adjacent to the sea...). My goodness!!!

I've also included a few shots of "The Pearl" a new multi-billion dollar development project just offshore of Corniche. It is actually an articifial island!!


1 Comments:

Blogger momsky said...

Hi Kristy,
So great to hear about your trip. We are looking forward to hearing all about it when you return. It is interesting how women are treated in other parts of the world. We are so lucky in Canada.

Love Mom

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home